Mount Mooneys focus is to breed Simmentals for our own use, both commercially and for the stud with the goal of continually improving our herd. Our genetic decisions focus on the following traits:
- Calving ease. Nobody wants losses out in the paddock. The jobs tough enough without making it unnecessarily harder and lost calves means lost profit.
- Good Temperament. It’s essential to be able to work relaxed in the yards both for farmer and animal.
- Structurally sound. Necessary to ensure the longevity of the bull and its ability to handle a high workload. This attribute has the added benefit in the performance of progeny by continually improving and building a strong female base.
- Higher carcass yield. The wholesale buyers and butchers want value for money! Our own vealers consistently yield greater than 55%, maintaining the customer base.
- Feed efficiency. The easy doing cattle are easier to pick out during the tough times. They then also stack it on, putting it into their calves during the good times.